Saturday, June 21, 2014

My little pony

Olivia and I picked up some my little ponies at a couple garage sales. They seemed to be pretty well loved and played with and needed a good scrubbing. So her and I cleaned them, conditioned and combed their ratty hair and then set them in curlers. We can't wait to see how they look all dried in the morning. 

Friday, June 20, 2014

Hibiscus Desk

So after pulling Olivia from school we are slowly transitioning into home school. I decided that it would be good to have a designated work space and  place to keep her stuff together. Her room is very small, it used to be my husbands office and has no closet. At first we always thought the girls would share a room but with Olivia having aspergers and her sister being quite a bit younger we quickly figured out it wasn't going to work. 
So we needed something compact. I stumbled across this style of sewing table recently at a Prarie Sister show (which is awesome by the way). I thought this was brilliant and compact. Surprisingly a few weeks later this popped up on Craig's list. It was in a bit of rough condition but I thought it would be perfect. Olivia wanted it pink which I was going to do but the pink was all dried up. I was ready to paint after doing all the repairs. I really didn't want to buy more paint or take the time to go get it. So we settled on purple. She wasn't super excited and actually I wasn't  either. It is so plain and blocky it really wasn't exciting. Then I remembered a Pinterest post that a etsy friend had sent me and thought brilliant, a big pink flower. So after many hours later and one original painting this is what it looks like. 

Thursday, June 19, 2014

More painting

The dresser is not quite in place but it made it to the studio today.  Now I am hoping that a vortex will come and gather all my business stuff in my studio and put it in my desk. 
The other is a little magazine rack. I almost got rid of it before painting as I was getting tired of projects but then while painting the dresser I figured I might as well. I went for the easier spray paint method and then distressed. Now I am glad I did it. I may end up using it for my watercolors on paper,
that way I can take them to the shop and people can flip thru them for purchasing. I think this might keep them safe. 

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

New business desk

I came across this interesting desk on a online yard sale sight. It was the perfect compact size for my art studio. See the theory is, is that if I have a "business" space I will keep better records, keep all my business things in one spot and be better organized. Remember I said theory. I was able to get the desk for $70.00, I thought that it was a decent price for me to justify purchasing for my theory. Also with a little work it would also be an investment piece. It needed a little work, a new back, some sanding to get drawers to slide easier, some nailing and it had some pretty substantial puppy teething in two places on the bottom. Fairly easy fixes. It has some other issues like a bit of warping but these issues I really consider character traits of an old piece and really don't mind. I did all the repairs along with painting the bottom. The puppy chewing really need to be filled in and covered. I was inspired by a piece I saw locally. A brilliant furniture painter had combined this beautiful green with oak and it sent me swooning. I thought it really modernized the piece without compromising the beautiful oak. Old oak has so much pretty character and I felt this color was the perfect compliment. I painted it with homemade chalk paint, did a burnt umber rub and finished it off with a beeswax finish. I then lemon oiled the wood. I am totally in love with this piece and can't wait for it to organize my whole busniness. If only it worked that way. I will take a photo if it in it's home and post it tomorrow. 

MY ART